Win/Mac sound defference (x50 v2.0.1)

TSE X50
nickson

Win/Mac sound defference (x50 v2.0.1)

Postby nickson » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:30 am

I've noticed TSE x50 v2 sounds different on Mac and Win. I prefer using Mac but the plugin works not so great as in Win. Sound is a little bit raw comparing to Win. I'm using 32bit ver on Win and 64 bit on Mac (as vst in Cubase, the same version both), the audio gear is also the same.
I just wonder have anybody noticed something like that? Any recommendations? Thanx.

onqel
Site Admin

Re: Win/Mac sound defference (x50 v2.0.1)

Postby onqel » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:03 pm

Hi nickson

I never noticed anything like that to be honest, there shouldn't be any difference as the same processing code is compiled on both windows and mac.
Lead Developer
TSE AUDIO

sunny

Postby sunny » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:52 am

I am experiencing the difference between PC and MAC. I did a number of test and emailed to Developer already but no reply so far. Don't know if they will fix it. Just like nickson said us MAC people are not getting the same result as PC user. :(

Here are just some part of the test I sent over. Using same DAW, DI + TSE X50 Latest version with same setting and nothing else on the chain.

MAC:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6j2p9tx1q01ve ... C.wav?dl=0

PC:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/a9gol7y5spj53 ... C.wav?dl=0

Here is the spectrum of the above render out to the exact same 0.5 second. Not only hear the difference but also see the difference.

MAC:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cyydewo7vozzvjm/MAC.png?dl=0

PC:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/v35djhjdaagauv5/PC.png?dl=0

It's 2016. Will there be a fix?

onqel
Site Admin

Postby onqel » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:07 am

Hi!

Are you using the exact same hardware (sound card) and plugin settings on both systems?
Please note that quality and oversampling settings are not saved in the preset.

I have tested your preset on my hackintosh dual-boot system,
My test was done using a phase cancellation test feeding the X50 with a 10 seconds clip of pink noise.
The difference between OS X and Windows version are -132 dB difference on default settings and -80 dB using your preset (with TSE808 enabled).

In other words, I can't recreate results similar to yours!

As a side note, the original post was made for v2.0.1 when I used a different FFT routine for Mac and Windows versions but v2.4.5 and up uses exactly the same audio processing code.

Please provide the exact settings used, audio card sample rate and buffer size on each system,
rendering settings in Reaper etc :)

- John
Lead Developer
TSE AUDIO

sunny

Postby sunny » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:20 am

Yes exact same hardware and plugin. latest version of TSE and Reaper on both OS. I did another test this time I use the vmware on my mac to run windows and open the exact same reaper session to assure both hardware and settings are the same. standard 24bit 44. Nothing complicated on the setup, just 2 DI send to bus and load the tse with the setting, either tse default setting or my preset you should see difference on the higher frequency. I dont mind sending you my session and you can open them on both platform and hear the result. And as in my previous email I even other daw and send you results.
-Best,

sunny

Postby sunny » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:26 am

Oh for the test, (2.4.5) I use the onboard soundcard to see if the hardware would make differences. later I use Apogge Duet2 on mac which then I use vmware for windows to test. Doesn't matter if it's onboard card or Duet2 as longs as it's pc either native or virtual pc, i would get the same result of TSE but the minute I switch to mac i would hear the change.

Return to “TSE X50”